||Description of Responsibilities
"Culture of Reading" Initiative, New Brunswick, NJ
A literacy coordinator/reading coach is an educator with knowledge of reading instruction and preferably second language acquisition.
Assess Literacy Skills
The GLP literacy coordinator/reading coach will liaise with teachers to determine student reading levels and specific areas of difficulty that the Global Literacy Project, Inc. reading enrichment program should target. As a coach, they will also meet with small groups of students to practice reading skills and provide periodic progress reports on student development.
Recruit and Manage Volunteers
The literacy coordinator/reading coach will assist in recruiting, training, and managing volunteer tutors who work one-on-one or with small groups of students. Coordinators provide on-going support to tutors so they too can refine their skills.
Support Early Literacy Development
If the program is for young children, the literacy coordinator/reading coach may provide parents with information and resources to help their children begin developing pre-reading skills such as concepts of print and phonological awareness. If the program is for adults, the literacy coordinator/reading coach can encourage students who have young children or grandchildren to apply their learning to help these children develop literacy skills from the earliest ages.
Campus & Community Liason
- Supervise student volunteers in the program with respect to volunteer activities in New Brunswick and outreach to the participating elementary to high schools.
- Conduct formal and informal trainings for student volunteers
- Maintain regular contact with faculty, staff, and students on campus
- Create materials, such as handouts, and other props that facilitate engagement between readers and students.
- Develop/compile and distribute various resource lists and literacy information as needed to volunteer readers and the directors and teachers of the partnering reading sites.
Global Literacy Project, Inc., P.O. Box 1859, New Brunswick, NJ 08903-0228
Copyright 2002-2013 Global
Literacy Project, Inc. Terms
of Use Webmaster: